1. Peer Pressure: (Maybe your friends don't have the best ideas.) Sometimes we make bad decisions or take unnecessary actions if we are negatively influenced by the ability, words or seniority of another.
2. Overconfidence: (I can carry 6 beers.) Overconfidence causes people to overestimate their knowledge, underestimate risks, and exaggerate their ability to control events.
3. Multi-tasking: (Watersports, grilling, AND lovin' America!) When we try to do more than one thing at a time, something must go - either safety, quality or performance will diminish.
5. Vague Guidance: (Hey, put your toes in the water.)This trap applies to both verbal instruction and written documents. When guidance lacks the necessary detail, it leaves room for us to "fill in the blanks."
6. Distractions: (Sometimes your own coolness just gets in the way.) Distractions are things that cause individuals to lose focus on what they are doing. These can be visual, audible, or mental.
7. Time Pressure: (Who has time for control pyrotechnics?) It is the feeling of urgency that pushes individuals to make poor decisions, take short-cuts, or not follow the rules.
8. Mental Stress/Fatigue: (Don't we all need a nap?) When you are not able to focus because you are tired, or preoccupied with problems or concerns you are experiencing at work or at home.
Have fun out there America...and be Safe!