At approximately 1:40 p.m. on October 4, 2012, an employee was working at a construction site in Wright, MN. He was standing near a ditch parallel to a county road, guiding a concrete culvert apron into place. The concrete culvert apron was being lowered by a Telescoping Boom Crane. The crane was approximately 8 feet from energized power lines carrying 7,200 volts of electricity. Although the crane never made direct contact with the power lines, electricity from the power lines jumped to the crane's load line and down to the concrete culvert apron. The employee's hands were placed on the concrete culvert apron as he guided it into place causing him to be electrocuted.
Completing work too close to energized power lines.
What Can We Learn?
Use of a Critical Step Check (S.A.F.E) would have helped identify the actions that must be performed correctly to avoid adverse consequences (operating too close to energized power lines).
By using a Self-Check (Stop, Think, Act, Review), the worker would have considered the dangers of working in close proximity to energized power lines.
Time Pressure may have caused the workers to begin work without carefully analyzing the right procedures and steps to take before they started.
The Physical Environment may have caused the crew to operate the crane too close to the energized power lines.
Ask the Right Questions