At 9:00 a.m. on July 13, 2017, two workers, employed by a construction company, were engaged in rigging work at a construction site. They were working from a crane. A metal rigging cable came too close to a power line, and an electric arc occurred.
The two employees sustained electrical shocks. Emergency services were called, and both workers were transported to the hospital, admitted, and treated for electrical shock.
Operating too close to an energized power line.
What Can We Learn?
Use of a Procedures would have ensured that the workers operated in a safe distance away from the energized power line.
By using a Self-Check (Stop, Think, Act, Review), both workers would have considered the dangers of working in close proximity to power lines.
Distractions may have caused the crew to lose focus on the what they were doing and where they were operating.
Vague Guidance from the workers’ superiors may have caused the crew to operate in conditions they didn’t know were unsafe.
Ask the Right Questions